- 1. For a small-sized dog breed like pug it is ironic and shocking that once upon a time it was also used in military, it might seem awkward to you that how pugs can be used as a military dog but you may not know that pug is known for it’s tracking abilities that’s the reason why in the 17th century they were used by some of the army forces.
- 2. Pug is a trendy dog breed, many might say that Labrador is one of the most popular dogs but pug is also very popular you can even see many actors or celebrities having this dog breeds, Queen Victoria also had many pugs, so if you have a Pug you are lucky.
- 3. Surprisingly Pugs are used in many movies too like the adventures of Milo and Otis, Men in Black and many other movies where pug dog breed is characterized as a star.
- 4. Many of them do not know that pug dog breed comes from China, but in today’s day and age it is very popular all over the world and many of them who are looking to buy a small dog breed always consider pug as an option.
- 5. Pug has existed way before in china and they were called as Lo-sze and the Tibetan monks used to keep pugs in their monasteries, Pugs were also considered to be a very royal dog before many famous personalities such as kings during those times used to have Pugs. So if you have a Pug then you are also not less than a celebrity I hope that made you happier.
- 6. This is quite a fun fact about pugs that where does Pug got his name from ?. In the 18th century there was a monkey species named Marmoset they were kept as a Pet and they were called Pugs, so the face of marmosets and pug dog breeds is very similar to the eye, so people started calling pug dog breeds like pugs and from there they were known as pugs before they were known as Lo-sze as mentioned before.
- 7. This is a very special fact that not many of us know that in 2009 there was a pug named Chester Ludlow who got an online graduate degree from a university named Rochville, so in 2009 Chester became the first pug who had a graduation degree. In today’s time, people find it hard to get a graduation degree but this Pug did it.
8. Facts about Pug’s behavior.
- Personality-wise, Pugs are happy and affectionate, loyal and charming, playful, and mischievous. They are very intelligent, however, they can be willful, which makes training challenging. While pugs can be good watchdogs, they aren’t inclined to be “yappy”, something your neighbors will appreciate.
9. Facts about the Pugs life cycle.
- The life expectancy of a Pug dog is between 12 and 15years, though the majority of pugs succumb closer to the low end of this. The average male will live 12.8 years and female pugs live a bit longer, with average life span being 13.2 years. This said a pug can live well into his teens. ( 15, 16 or even 17 years.)
10. Pug facts Wikipedia.
- The pug is a breed of dog with physically distinctive features of a wrinkly, short-muzzled face, and curled tail. The breed has a fine, glossy coat that comes in a variety of colors, most often fawn or black, and a compact square body with well- developed muscles.
- Pugs were brought from China to Europe in the sixteenth century and were popularized in Western Europe by the house of orange of the Netherlands, and the house of Stuart. In the United Kingdom, in the nineteenth century, Queen Victoria developed a passion for pugs which she passed on to other members of the royal family.
- Pugs are known for being sociable and gentle companion dogs. The American Kennel Club describes the breed’s personalities as “ even-tempered and charming”. Pugs remain popular in the twenty-first century, with some famous celebrity owners. A pug was judged best in a show at the world day show in 2004.
11. Are Pugs Smart.
- Pugs are also known to be great family dogs and are very playful and affectionate with children. Also, because of their mouth shape, pugs have trouble delivering an aggressive bite and so are considered to be on the more Kid-safe end of the breed spectrum, Pugs tend to be smart, observant, and quick learners.
12. Pugs for sale.
The initial Pug Price.
- On the average end of the spectrum, expect to pay between $600-$1,500. At this price range, the dog will likely have papers but won’t be of show quality or have breeding rights. A pug with superior lineage will range anywhere from $1,900 up to $6,000, depending on the pedigree.
13. Pug care
- Give their facial folds a weekly clean. Your pug’s facial folds can hold onto food, saliva, dirt, and other debris that may be smelly and irritating.
- Brush your Pug 1 to 2 times a week.
- Clean their ears with a specialty solution once a week.
- Bathe your Pug once a month.
- Trim their nails as necessary.
14. Pug breeding.
- Breeding Pugs is not that easy it requires some detailed expertise in the breeding field and a strong point of view. You don’t just breed a dog because they are famous.
- Some breeding partners related to pug breeding should complement each other. A breeder who mates pugs sees some good points for the improvement of the next generation then that breeder is indeed a good breeder.
15. Short nose.
- Pugs are brachycephalic, meaning their noses are pushed in more as compared to other dogs. This might look cute to the eye but this kind of a nose structure can eventually sometimes lead to breathing problems.
- Due to their facial structure, they sometimes find it difficult to take long and deep breaths which is the reason why most of the time you might have heard a pug snuffling when they physically active.
- This does not mean pugs are weak as compared to other dogs but yes they might find some difficulty in swimming and also they can face some issues while traveling in an airplane, most of the airlines have thus banned a few dogs with small nose for traveling because they are aware of the difficulties they might face.
16. To Live with.
- Pugs are one of the easiest pets to be with but they also have a tendency to become obese unless their eating patterns and physical activity are watched carefully. They do not do well in hot and humid conditions and must be carefully watched and observed during such climatic conditions.
- Pugs also do have a tendency to snore and the reason for that is their short muzzle and their eyes could also be easily injured and proper care must be taken to keep them moist.
- By giving them some physical activity on a daily basis you can keep their weight issues in check. Pugs do not qualify as great watchdogs for that purpose you should look for some other breed if you are planning to have one.
17. Different Colors.
Other interesting facts about pugs are they come in a variety of colors, they typically come in 3 colors
- Apricot-fawn, or
18. Secret Symbol.
- There was a time when a group of Catholics was prevented from becoming freemasons by the Pope in 1738, after that they decided to form a society named the “Order of the Pug”, or Mopsorden, in1740.
- They decided to choose Pug as their main symbol and the reason for that was their loyalty and also their trustworthiness, to be considered in the order one had to wear a dog collar, and also before entering the lodge, the members had to scratch the door.